So far so good! I am feeling highly energetic and optimistic! I had enough energy to exercise and make it through the day today (which is saying a lot since my daughter woke us up around 5 AM). I even got through some yard work, played tennis with my 10-year old, and went out for some socializing this morning. So I didn't sit around eating vegan bon bons!
Today I thought I would expand a little on the thought process I went through to get to this point. Since I went through my reasons to try "go for it" yesterday, I wanted to touch on all the fears swimming in my head that almost prevented me from even thinking about it.
Here were my reasons for NOT going vegan:
- I have "high protein" needs. I will get way too hungry. Especially since I am a nursing mom...Okay, in school I saw a speaker who was a 200 lb ex-rancher who was vegan and talking about it's health benefits. I have also read some professional athletes are vegan...if they can work it, I can work it with my "high protein" needs. I did decide to wait until baby girl was pretty close to weaning so a dramatic shift in eating wouldn't affect my milk supply. We are close enough, so far no issues.. And, surprise, I am not that hungry...and when I do get hungry...I eat more! Imagine that.
- There won't be enough for me to eat. So, I do not think I am alone in this fear of being vegan. But in addition, I am allergic to some nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia, black walnuts). To further reduce my pool of foods to eat, I also don't believe in eating soy dressed in meat clothing. Soy bacon? Tofurkey? Soy cheese? Doesn't really interest me, and I see them as processed foods, which I seek to avoid. I don't mind a properly fermented soy product like tofu or tempeh, miso, soy sauce, tamari, etc., but I don't think soy milk is all that natural. So...in some ways I truly am limited. I recognize this and question the long term prospects of being vegan for this reason. However, I can do it for 30 days to start!
- I love baking too much. Thanks to my friend Alexis, I have some really fun recipes to try! Two books worth! Turns out this is going to be a fun challenge! I made some vegan chocolate cupcakes this week that rivaled my normal recipe! Sweet!
- Eggs. Yeah, I have a thing for farm fresh eggs. For some people it is cheese. I like eggs. Daily. Long term this may or may not be a problem. But, it may turn out that I stick to some things and not others. Time will tell.
- Seafood. I like seafood even more than I love eggs. But I eat it less often as a daily routine. So this may not be a big deal since I won't miss on a daily basis.
- Ice cream. I love it. I think I got the gene from my Grammy Shirley. Luckily there are a bunch of other things to try...we'll see! I can make some sorbets in my ice cream maker in the meantime. Summer fruit is coming!
- It isn't natural to have to supplement a whole nutrient that basically only comes from animal products. (vitamin B12). Turns out my multi-vitamin (that I was taking on/off while nursing) has plenty of it. So I will continue to take it until done the challenge. I have issues with supplementing anyway... that I could write a whole post about...but I am not going to hijack this one.
- I have heard of people being vegan for long periods of time and becoming unhealthy and malnutritioned. There I said it. I have personally talked to these people. They are highly educated, so I do not believe they "weren't doing it right". But you know...30 days won't do that and I will cross that bridge if I ever get there. I am doing my best to read information on balancing my needs and I think I will be safe...a lot safer than the guy who ate McDonalds for a month that's for sure.
- What if I hate it? Um...then I can stop. Haha, this one was pretty dumb.
- What if I love it? Then I will have to change. Change is hard. I am still almost scared of this one.
- My family may criticize me. Some of them will. Some of them won't. Put on your big girl pants, Nicole, and ignore the nay-sayers!
- Going out to eat is not going to be fun anymore. This may be true, but I rarely go out since I have little ones. I am also going to admit that I am not including May 24th in the "challenge" and I will further explain in my next post entitled "The RULES".
So those are most of the things I was scared of when I started thinking about this...I am sure there are more, but that covers a lot of ground. So, if you have being thinking about the prospect of trying vegan and you have some of the same fears/roadblocks/reasons, know that you are not alone. And, while most of them (as you can see) are unresolved for me. I am going for it anyway. Why not?
In health and reasoning,