Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Don't take shots in the dark. Know your options.

Can you tell that I have been lazy and less creative on the food front? Everyday around 5PM I get pretty low-energy and so coming up with new recipes hasn't been by biggest priority.

So today, I just wanted to pass on information for books that have been helpful to me in case you were interested. I remember when Sam was born that every doctor appointment I went to, Sam needed to receive vaccines, which my doctor and I spent very little time discussing. It seemed really scary to be giving him 3 or 4 shots in one day when he was such a little baby, and without knowing what my options were at the time, I just did what the doctor ordered.

However, knowing that doctors receive their orders from the CDC, FDA, and the government (who have interests/are subject to lobbying by pharmaceuticals), I am increasingly aware that doing your own research about the topic helps you feel more comfortable with any decisions you make about your baby's health--with either way you go.

I have always been a "middle of the road" person when it comes to vaccines--and can see points of view from both sides. You obviously do not want to eliminate vaccinations and expose your child to deadly diseases. But, you want do vaccinate in such a way that there are less risks of developing autism, ADD, ADHD, and other autoimmune diseases that may be related to over-vaccinating children before they can developmentally handle the ingredients. So, while I do plan on vaccinating the new baby--I plan on doing it on a modified schedule that I will develop based on research and with my pediatrician and (hopefully) pose less risks.

So, in case you are interested, here are 2 books that were recommended to me--that present both sides of the vaccine debate and that both are written by doctors.

What your Doctor May Not Tell you About Children's Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave, MD with Deborah Mitchell: I am currently reading this one and finding it fascinating (because I am a dork). But it is helpful to see that I can delay some of the vaccines until the baby is a bit older--without risking him getting some of the diseases, etc.

The Vaccine Book by Dr Sears: I haven't read this one yet (it is next on the list), but my doula recommended it. She said if she had read it, that she probably would have given her son 1-2 of the vaccines recommended instead of abstaining from them completely (she didn't vaccinate at all because of fear of the controversies). So I am pretty sure it gives a picture of both sides of the debate--when the vaccines are neccessary and when they can be delayed.

In any case, it is something to think about before your baby is born, especially since the first vaccine is scheduled on the day of his/her birth (Hep B). If not those books, you should read a little bit about it so you feel comfortable with any decisions you make. You should also talk it over with prospective pediatricians to see what they think about the topic too, since their philosophy on it will be important to align with your own.

Hope this helps to bring up (yet another) thing to think about when preparing for your little one.

In health and wellness,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment