Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Handy Little Inventions for the Pregnant Woman

I am due on April 18th, which is in a little less than 3 months. I have technically begun the last trimester, and I am starting to be able to tell. The high energy feelings of the second trimester have begun to wane, my hips are starting to feel really sore, my belly is popping out of my pre-pregnancy clothes, my lower back is beginning to ache, and my appetite has almost doubled. Woo hoo, I finally feel pregnant! You know, I take the good with the bad, and I am really enjoying it. However, there are a few handy little inventions that are making this pregnancy more enjoyable and I thought I would share them:

  • Belly band: I do not know about you, but I really don't like maternity pants. Everytime I go to the store to try them on, I leave purchasing another top or nothing at all. So what do I wear? I assure you, that I do not typically leave the house without pants on. I either wear a comfy pair of yoga pants (in solid colors that match everything) or I throw on a pregnancy belly band over some of my pre-pregnancy pants. Now, I have to admit, I am "lucky" because I had a huge stash of bigger sizes in my basement because 2 years ago I lost quite a bit of weight (when I discovered what I know now about healthy eating). So I just grab a box of the next size up, toss on a belly band, and throw on an extra long or maternity top. I grabbed mine at Target for $17 bucks, but Amazon also has a ton of different kinds as well. The great thing is that if I eventually do break down and buy maternity clothes, you can use the band to help you keep your pants up post-partum until you fit into your normal ones again. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=belly+band

  • Epsom salt: Not a new invention, by any means. But I have discovered that dumping 2 cups of Epsom salts in a warm (not too hot) bath feels good on my aching hips and lower back. Epsom salt is basically magnesium sulfate, which is a mineral your body needs to relax muscles and intestines (hint hint, if you are constipated). Bathing in the salt can help you to absorb some of that magnesium and relax tense muscles/intestines. ALSO, it helps with shrinking and soothing hemorrhoids if you have developed them during pregnancy or if you develop them during/after labor. You can use them as a bath or for use in sitz baths.

  • Rolling pin: Hand to partner, point to sore muscle, and let them roll out the tension. Give positive feedback sounds of relief...

  • Journal or sketch pad: Vent it out, draw it out, let it out. You are hormonal, emotional, excited, stressed, anxious, happy, sad, nervous, and sometimes just hungry and tired. I encourage you to let it all out. It basically just helps to write things down. You end up figuring out things about yourself you didn't know, and feelings you didn't know you had. With such a major change coming in your life, it is important to maintain your mental health. So write it out, draw it out, and let it out. It will be surprisingly therapeutic. I promise.

  • Pillows: Either a pregnancy pillow, or a body pillow, or a bunch of regular pillows/blankets. They will help you sleep better and feel less sore in the morning. Try to keep your spine in neutral and your hips aligned face forward. I stack up a folded up blanket and put it right above my hip to under my armpit, and it helps fill the space between my waist and bed, and keeps my hips in better alignment. Then put a pillow between your legs to keep your leg straighter.

Do you have an invention that you specifically like to help relieve aches/pains? I would LOVE to hear.

In health and wellness,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment